A concert film based on the Taylor Swift Eras Tour will hit the big screen in October—and theaters expect massive interest.
- Singer Taylor Swift’s ongoing concert series began on March 17, 2023, and will conclude on November 23, 2024, after 146 shows.
- A filmed version of the tour will be released in AMC and Cinemark theaters on October 13 and run through November 5.
- Both theater chains report that they are shoring up their online ticket systems to meet demand and providing at least four daily screenings on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- AMC Theaters reports that it is prepared to handle five times the normal server traffic to meet demand from Taylor Swift fans.
- Tickets for Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour are priced at $19.89 for adults and $13.13 for children.
Why It’s Important
Taylor Swift’s ongoing concert series has been one of the most spectacular entertainment successes and controversial media circuses of the past year. When tickets went on sale in November 2022, Ticketmaster could not keep up with the demand from aggressive Taylor Swift fans who wanted a chance to see her live for the historic concert series. The sales for the concert have set records for attendance and tour revenue—possibly turning Swift into a billionaire.
However, the initial Ticketmaster failure became sizable enough that Congress became involved in the controversy. High presale demand caused servers to crash, fans to wait hours on the phone for a chance to buy their tickets, and a broken ticket window when they finally were given a chance to buy tickets.
As we previously reported, members of the Senate Judiciary Committee slammed Ticketmaster’s parent company, Live Nation, claiming that Ticketmaster holds a monopoly over the ticketing industry—leading lawmakers and fans to call for a reform of the entire industry.
“AMC is also aware that no ticketing system in history seems to have been able to accommodate the soaring demand from Taylor Swift fans when tickets are first placed on sale. Guests wanting to be the first to buy their tickets online may experience delays, longer-than-usual ticket-purchase waiting-room times, and possible outages. AMC is committed to ensuring any delays or outages are addressed as quickly as possible,” says AMC.
“The Eras Tour has been the most meaningful, electric experience of my life so far, and I’m overjoyed to tell you that it’ll be coming to the big screen soon. Starting October 13th, you’ll be able to experience the concert film in theaters in North America!” tweeted Swift.