July 24, 1982
- Known For:
Founder of Thyroid Pharmacist
Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy
About Izabella Wentz
Izabella Teresa Wentz (Nowosadzka) was born on July 24, 1982. Inspired by her mother, Dr. Marta Nowosadzka, she developed an interest in healthcare as a child. She lived in Poland until age nine, when she moved to the U.S. with her family.
Wentz began experiencing health problems at age 18, which she later discovered was a result of Hashimoto’s disease. She explains, “Starting around age 18, I struggled with chronic fatigue, needing 12+ hours of sleep, and had severe intestinal and bowel problems until I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in 2009. I was glad to at least have a diagnosis and to start medication, but this only helped a little. I continued to struggle with fatigue, acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, hair loss, and basically felt terrible on most days until I decided to take charge of my own health in 2010.”
Wentz studied chemistry and pre-pharmacy at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign from 2000 to 2002. She then attended Midwestern University, where she was involved in student council and was on the dean’s list. In 2006, she earned her Doctorate of Pharmacy in 2006 from Midwestern.
Wentz married her husband, Michael, on November 11, 2007. They now have a child named Dimitry and live in Boulder, Colorado.
Wentz’s first job was as a pharmacy technician/intern at Walgreens. She worked at Walgreens throughout her college years. After receiving her PharmD in 2006, she worked as a pharmacist first in Scottsdale, Arizona, and then in Los Angeles, California.
In 2008, Wentz took a position as a clinical consultant pharmacist at Harbor Regional Center in Torrance, California, where she remained for three years. In 2011, she moved to Illinois and worked as a clinical pharmacy specialist, where she led a statewide medication safety initiative, mentored PharmD interns, and developed “Learning in Action Networks.
In 2012, Wentz founded Thyroid Pharmacist, a website and brand that spreads awareness about autoimmune thyroid disorders and how to manage them. She built a large following on social media for the brand, which now includes 138,000 Instagram followers and 464,000 Facebook followers. Her website reaches an average of 2,000 visitors each day.
In 2014, Wentz founded the Hashimoto’s Institute with nutritionist Andrea Nakayama and Dr. Alan Christianson. The institute was designed to educate the public and healthcare providers about treatment options for Hashimoto’s.
Today, Wentz’s website includes a 30-day course that helps individuals uncover root causes of autoimmune disorders, a 6-week program that helps people with thyroid issues reset, and a collection of electronic recipe books. All of the content Wentz publishes is geared toward improving thyroid issues with lifestyle interventions.
Wentz was a board member at Hashimoto’s Awareness from 2013 to 2017, and a trustee at patient advocacy group Thyroid Change from 2013 to 2014. Soon after founding Thyroid Pharmacist, Wentz received the Excellence in Innovation Award from the Illinois Pharmacists Association in 2013.
In February 2017, Wentz released the nine-episode documentary series, The Thyroid Secret. The series shares patient stories and practitioner experiences in treating Hashimoto’s disease. She has also developed Rootcology, a line of supplements that addresses the needs of people with autoimmune thyroid diseases.
Wentz’s influence as a thyroid pharmacist has grown, and she has been featured in several publications, including USA Today, MindBodyGreen, The New York Times, The 700 Club, Men’s Health, and The Wall Street Journal. She’s also appeared as a podcast guest on The Human Upgrade,The Ultimate Health Podcast,Commune,Wellness Mama, and many others.
Wentz has published four books since 2013, with her most recent being released in 2023. Here’s a list of her publications:
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause: A New York Times best-seller, Wentz’s first book was co-authored with her mother, Dr. Marta Nowosadzska, in 2013.
- Hashimoto’s Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back: Wentz’s second book, published in 2017, quickly became a #1 New York Times best-seller.
- Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology: Nutrition Protocols and Healing Recipes to Take Charge of Your Thyroid Health: Published in 2019, Wentz’s first cookbook, a Wall Street Journal best-seller, helps readers follow a Hashimoto’s diet.
- Adrenal Transformation Protocol: Wentz’s latest book, published April 18, 2023, details a four-week program for patients with adrenal issues.
Wentz has organized or participated in several charitable events and organizations. In 2002, she organized a fundraiser to purchase child safety seats, and in 2013, she raised $1,100 for the patient advocacy group Thyroid Change.
Izabella Wentz Today
Wentz continues to publish content about thyroid issues and Hashimoto’s disease on her website and her social media platforms. She has become one of the most well-known experts on Hashimoto’s disease and adrenal health.
Leaders Media has established sourcing guidelines that rely on credible, expert-level, and primary sources for articles about people and companies. Articles are frequently edited by staff writers. Learn more about our mission, editorial ethics, and how we source references in our editorial policy.
- Wentz. (2023, April 17). About dr. Izabella Wentz. Retrieved May 3, 2023, from https://thyroidpharmacist.com/about/
- Wentz, I. (2013, July 24). Birthday Book Giveaway–Facebook. Retrieved May 3, 2023, from https://www.facebook.com/ThyroidLifestyle/posts/birthday-book-giveaway-today-is-my-birthday-i-am-31-but-feel-a-thousand-times-be/217534698397080/
- Wentz, I. (2015). Finding The Right Doctor For Hashimoto’s – Dr. Izabella Wentz. Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/my-challenges-and-finding-dr-right/
- Izabella Teresa Wentz (Nowosadzka). (2013). Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://www.functionalmedicineuniversity.com/IzabellaCV.pdf
- Wentz, I. (2018, November 11). Izabellawentzpharmd–Instagram. Retrieved May 3, 2023, from https://www.instagram.com/izabellawentzpharmd/p/BqDMw3AAAGM/?hl=en
- Wentz, I. (2018, December 1). Izabellawentzpharmd–Instagram. Retrieved May 3, 2023, from https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq36p8YgRED/?hl=en
- Wentz, I. (n.d.). Dr. Izabella Wentz, pharmd, FASCP – founder and author – linkedin. Retrieved May 3, 2023, from https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-izabella-wentz-pharmd-fascp-75a7052
- Wentz, I. (2023, April 28). Dr. Izabella Wentz, pharmd. Retrieved May 3, 2023, from https://thyroidpharmacist.com/
- Upsher-Smith Laboratories. (2014). Upsher-Smith Honors 42 Pharmacists Nationwide For Excellence In Innovation. Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/upsher-smith-honors-42-pharmacists-nationwide-for-excellence-in-innovation-239908281.html
- The Human Upgrade with Dave Asprey—formerly Bulletproof Radio on Apple Podcasts. (2023). Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-human-upgrade-with-dave-asprey-formerly/id451295014
- 285: Dr. Izabella Wentz – Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology • Thyroid Testing • Stress, Trauma & Autoimmune Conditions. (2019). Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://ultimatehealthpodcast.com/dr-izabella-wentz-hashimotos/
- Commune Podcast: Go From Surviving to Thriving with Dr. Izabella Wentz. (2023). Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://www.onecommune.com/blog/podcast-go-from-surviving-to-thriving-with-dr-izabella-wentz
- 649: Dr. Izabella Wentz on the Adrenal Transformation Protocol to Reset the Body’s Stress Response. (2023). Retrieved 3 May 2023, from https://wellnessmama.com/podcast/649/
- Wentz, I., & Nowosadzka, M. (2015). Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: Lifestyle interventions for finding and treating the root cause. United States?: Izabella Wentz?
- Wentz, I. (2017). Hashimoto’s protocol: A 90-day plan for reversing thyroid symptoms and getting your life back. New York, NY: HarperOne.
- WENTZ, I. (2020). Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology: Nutrition Protocols and healing recipes to take charge of your … thyroid health. HARPERCOLLINS.
- Wentz, I. (2023). Adrenal transformation protocol: A 4-week plan to release stress symptoms and go from surviving to thriving. New York: Avery, an imprint of Penguin Random House.
Any reader who wishes to provide any additions or revisions to this article, including updating any out-of-date information, please email [email protected].