Writing assistant Grammarly already uses artificial intelligence (AI) to correct grammar and fine-tune users’ writing, but the company will soon be taking its virtual assistant to the next level with generative AI technology.
- GrammarlyGo will use generative AI to help users brainstorm and compose writing along with Grammerly’s current features of editing and personalizing text.
- This latest feature, developed through OpenAI’s GPT-3 language models, adds a new level to Grammarly’s current abilities.
- Users can input short writing prompts that the AI will then use to create complete drafts of text. It can also transform bullet points into fully-written paragraphs.
- GrammarlyGo can also give feedback and rewrite paragraphs to provide greater context or rework into the desired tone.
- The generative AI tool can also prepare responses to emails based on previous replies in an email chain.
- The new tool will become available in April.
Why it’s news
In 2009, Grammarly began as a grammar checker add-on but has since developed into a tool that can evaluate clarity, conciseness, and make tone suggestions.
Since then, Grammarly’s team of in-house experts has been working to develop multiple technologies, including machine learning, natural language procession, deep learning, and language models. Its algorithm is trained on grammatically correct input along with user feedback. However, the company is now combining OpenAI’s technology with its own technology. The generative AI technology will allow the company to expand beyond grammar checking and include creation and comprehension abilities.
OpenAI’s ChatGPT has sparked an AI development explosion as more tech companies announce that they will begin using the new tech. Yet, despite the benefits and usefulness generative AI may be able to bring, critics are worried about the potential downsides.
Teachers, in particular, are worried about students taking advantage of generative AI’s ability to write essays and other writing assignments. Several school districts have blocked ChatGPT on school devices. GrammarlyGo will have an option for school administration to block the features on school devices. Other users, however, will have the feature automatically updated.