Apple’s reveal event “Far Out” has just concluded and its newest line of products has been revealed.
The iPhone 14 Pro, Apple Watch Ultra, and Airpods Pro were all revealed in addition to the newest Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch SE. Here are some details.
- The newest iPhone models include an always-on display, a new low-power mode to increase battery life, an improved low-light camera, a new flash, and more, according to CNBC.
- American iPhone 14s will also discontinue using SIM cards, replacing them with digital eSIMs.
- Both models will be available for preorder on Friday and launch on September 16.
- Several new features including a predicted emergency satellite feature were revealed.
- As we previously reported, the feature was predicted by analysts as early as last year and will allow the newer iPhones to send texts through satellites when outside of cell tower range.
- “The feature is designed to connect an iPhone 14′s antenna directly to a satellite, to send a message in areas unconnected by cell towers… The emergency satellite service launches in November and is included free for two years with an iPhone 14,” says CNN Business.
- Apple Watch Ultra is an outdoor variant of their Apple Watch that is being promoted to athletes. It includes a compass, an action button made to be used while working, and underwater features. It costs $799 and will go on sale on September 23.
- “Every detail has been engineered to make the most rugged and capable than ever,” says Apple COO Jeff Williams.
- The second generation AirPods Pro will improve noise-canceling features and battery life. It costs $249 and will be available on September 23.
“Reality One,” Apple’s rumored virtual reality product, did not make an appearance.
Why it’s news
Apple’s annual product reveal event is one of the largest tech announcements of the year and shows off the most cutting-edge products coming from one of the leading manufacturers in the tech industry.
Many of its features, including the new satellite uplink and rumored virtual reality features, foreshadow the direction that Apple is looking to develop subsequent generations of phones, watches, and earbuds for the coming iterations.