After the quick fall of Silicon Valley Bank (SVB), people are flocking to buy memorabilia and get a piece of the SVB nostalgia action.
- eBay sellers are listing SVB-branded apparel on the site for hundreds of dollars and bringing in bids.
- A meat and cheese board sold for $200.
- A coffee mug and tumbler sold for $100.
- An SVB pint glass sold for $22.
- Other items were listed for much higher, including a fleece for the bank’s finance committee that was listed for $1,000, but the seller accepted an unknown lower offer, according to Fortune.
- Other North Face fleeces and jackets have sold in the $100 to $150 range.
Why it’s important
Although Silicon Valley Bank recently suffered a quick collapse that shook the financial world and had many questioning the confidence of the banking systems, many people have turned the tragedy into a pop-culture opportunity and are searching for SVB memorabilia online.
Many banks have cheap, bland t-shirts and coffee mugs available for investors, but SVB has nice speakers, tumblers, and luxury items with its name branded on them, most likely because the bank primarily dealt with tech startups.
Now that the bank has fallen, people are scouring the internet for branded items to get in on the current action as the fascination with the fallen bank continues.
Many items have been listed on the bidding website including mugs, tumblers, pint glasses, and jackets and shirts. Some of the items were listed for thousands like the branded North Face jackets and others are also listed for high prices such as a SVB baseball hat and tumbler that is listed for more than $202 and and a tumbler and insulated bottle set listed for nearly $189.