In the book Inside the Competitor’s Mindset How To Predict Their Next Move And Position Yourself For Success, author John Horn shares proven techniques to help businesses think like the competition and understand their moves to be successful.
- Author John Horn combines his 15 years of competitive insight consulting with new concepts to create a book to help readers understand the mindset of their competition.
- He explains that the keys to unlocking this mindset are cognitive empathy and a strategic approach to competitive insight that focuses on the “why” of a competitor’s move and not just on “what happened.”
- The book will empower readers to…
- learn where to look for competitive insights, regardless of their industry, whether they (or their competitors) are a public or private company
- anticipate how competitors will react to the moves they make and whether they are about to make a bold first move
- apply lessons from archaeologists, paleontologists, NICU nurses, and homicide detectives to better gather and analyze information when they can’t ask direct questions
- design and operate strategic exercises to gain competitive insight
- build up a competitive insight function within their organization
Why it’s important
Everyone has competition, whether in business or personal life, and it is important to understand how competition works and why others do what they do to truly understand competition and be successful.
In the book Inside the Competitor’s Mindset How To Predict Their Next Move And Position Yourself For Success, author John Horn explains that when it comes to competitive strategy, knowing what your competition is doing is good, but understanding why they do what they do and predicting what they are going to do next is best.
Horn uses his decades of experience in competitive insight consulting to explain the keys to unlocking the competitive mindset. He highlights the importance of focusing on the “why” of a competitor’s move and not just on “what happened.”
In the book, he presents an approach to competitive intelligence that starts with three frameworks to get inside the competitor’s mindset, predict their reactions to your moves, and assess whether the competition is preparing for a move of their own.
He explains that predicting the other side’s next move is crucial when it comes to competition. He teaches readers how to be one step ahead of the competition and prepares leaders from any industry to be ready when it is time to act (and react) in the competitive market.
Horn gives readers the tools to be ahead and never be surprised when their competition makes a move, always pointing them to success.