August 14, 1987
- Known For:
NFL Quarterback for Denver Broncos
About Tim Tebow
Tim Tebow was born on August 14, 1987, in Makati City, Philippines, where his parents, Robert and Pamela Tebow, served as Baptist missionaries. The Tebows had moved to the Philippines in the mid-1980s with the goal of spreading Christianity, and Tim’s mother, Pamela, experienced a life-threatening illness during her pregnancy with him, but both she and the baby survived despite complications.
Growing up, Tebow was the youngest of five siblings. The Tebow family eventually moved back to the United States, settling in Jacksonville, Florida. Home-schooled by his mother, he was allowed to play football at Allen D. Nease High School in Ponte Vedra, Florida, because of a state law that permitted home-schooled students to compete in local high school sporting events.
At Nease, Tebow achieved significant success as a quarterback, earning recognition on a national scale. He was known not just for his football skills but also for his strong Christian faith. This dedication was evident even during his high school years, as he often wore references to Bible verses on his eye black during games.
After high school, Tebow attended the University of Florida, where he played for the Gators from 2006 to 2009. At the University of Florida, he majored in family, youth, and community sciences. During his college years, he continued to be as vocal about his faith as he was about football, often speaking about the importance of God in his life during interviews and press conferences.
Tebow is married to Demi-Leigh Tebow, who was Miss Universe in 2017, and works as a speaker and influencer. The couple lives in Jacksonville, Florida.
College Football at Florida
Tebow played college football for the University of Florida Gators from 2006 to 2009. During his time there, he was instrumental in the Gators’ National Championship victories in 2006 and 2008. In 2007, he became the first college sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy, awarded annually to college football’s most outstanding player.
Tebow was selected by the Denver Broncos in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played for the Broncos from 2010 to 2011 and had a memorable playoff win against the Pittsburgh Steelers during the 2011–2012 playoffs. After the Broncos, Tebow played briefly for the New York Jets in 2012 and had short stints with the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles, though he never secured a long-term starting position.
After his football career stalled, Tebow pursued a career in professional baseball. He signed a minor league contract with the New York Mets in 2016 and played in their farm system for several years, making the Mets’ Triple-A Syracuse team in 2019. He did not reach the Major Leagues and ultimately announced his retirement from baseball in February 2021.
After his football career, Tebow transitioned into broadcasting and quickly made a name for himself as a college football analyst. In December 2013, it was announced that Tebow would be joining ESPN as a college football analyst for the SEC Network, which launched in August 2014. In this role, he primarily appeared on SEC Nation, a traveling pre-game show where he and other analysts discussed the day’s games, provided insights, and made predictions.
In 2014, Tebow contributed to ABC’s Good Morning America as a part of the show’s “Motivate Me Monday” segment, where he shared stories of individuals and communities doing exceptional things.
Through My Eyes (2011): This is Tebow’s autobiographical account of his early life, his family, his faith, and his football career up until the end of his college years. He offers a detailed look into his personal experiences, sharing stories of perseverance, dedication, and the importance of faith in his life. He speaks about his upbringing, his time at the University of Florida, and the experiences that shaped him into the man he is.
Shaken: Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life’s Storms (2016): In Shaken, Tebow talks about the challenges and disappointments he faced in his professional football career, especially after leaving college. He discusses the ups and downs of his life, highlighting moments where his faith was tested. The central message is about finding one’s true identity, not in worldly success or public perception, but in God and unwavering faith.
This Is the Day: Reclaim Your Dream. Ignite Your Passion. Live Your Purpose. (2018): Tebow encourages readers to stop postponing dreams and start making the most of each day. He shares stories from his own life and the lives of others who decided to seize the day in spite of challenges and setbacks. The book is a call to live with purpose, passion, and a sense of urgency.
Know Who You Are. Live Like It Matters.: A Homeschooler’s Interactive Guide to Discovering Your True Identity (2017): Targeted specifically at homeschool students, this book is a guide to understanding one’s identity in God. Tebow, who was homeschooled himself, offers insights and advice about navigating life’s challenges and understanding one’s purpose. The book is structured with interactive exercises and lessons to help students explore and strengthen their faith.
Bronco and Friends: A Party to Remember (2021): This is a children’s book that follows Bronco, a dog who wants to have a party but feels he’s not perfect because of his bent tail. With the help of his friends, he learns that everyone has their unique strengths and qualities. The story teaches children about acceptance, understanding, and celebrating individual differences.
Faith and Philanthropy
A devout Christian, Tebow’s faith has played a significant role in his public life. He’s known for “Tebowing,” a gesture where he would kneel in prayer on the football field. Off the field, he has supported a variety of charitable endeavors.
In 2010, Tebow established the Tim Tebow Foundation with the mission “to bring Faith, Hope, and Love to those needing a brighter day in their darkest hour of need.” The foundation’s initiatives are vast and diverse, ranging from building a hospital in the Philippines to organizing “Night to Shine,” a prom night experience for people with special needs.
The foundation helped fund the Tebow CURE Hospital, built in partnership with CURE International, located in Davao City, Philippines. This facility offers orthopedic surgeries to children, addressing conditions like clubfoot, bowed legs, and cleft lip, among others. The choice of the Philippines is personal for Tebow, given that he was born there while his parents were serving as missionaries.
The Tebow Foundation also has an initiative called “Orphan Care” that partners with organizations worldwide to support orphans through adoptions, care, and prevention. Additionally, it includes other projects like “W15H,” which fulfills the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses; building playrooms in hospitals, orphanages, and special needs centers called “Timmy’s Playrooms.”
Tim Tebow Quotes
“I’m not perfect. And who knows how many times I’ve fallen short. We all fall short. That’s the amazing thing about the grace of God.”
“Success comes in a lot of ways, but it doesn’t come with money and it doesn’t come with fame. It comes from having a meaning in your life, doing what you love and being passionate about what you do. That’s having a life of success. When you have the ability to do what you love, love what you do and have the ability to impact people. That’s having a life of success. That’s what having a life of meaning is.”
“Regardless of what happens, I still honor my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, because at the end of the day, that’s what’s important, win or lose.”
“We play a sport. It’s a game. At the end of the day, that’s all it is, is a game. It doesn’t make you any better or any worse than anybody else. So by winning a game, you’re no better. By losing a game, you’re no worse. I think by keeping that mentality, it really keeps things in perspective for me to treat everybody the same.”
“You never know who’s looking up to you, you never know the impact you’re going to have on people’s lives. You never know who you’re going to impact or who’s life you’re going to change.”
Leaders Media has established sourcing guidelines that rely on credible, expert-level, and primary sources for articles about people and companies. Articles are frequently edited by staff writers. Learn more about our mission, editorial ethics, and how we source references in our editorial policy.
- Tim Tebow Official Website | The Online Home of Tim Tebow. (n.d.). Tim Tebow. https://timtebow.com/
- Tim Tebow | Athlete, author, speaker, businessman, believer. (n.d.). Tim Tebow. https://timtebow.com/media/about-tim-tebow
- Tim Tebow Birthday – Age, bio, birthday, family, net worth | National Today. (2022b, November 15). National Today. https://nationaltoday.com/birthday/tim-tebow/
- Tim Tebow | Athlete, author, speaker, businessman, believer. (n.d.-b). Tim Tebow. https://timtebow.com/media/about-tim-tebow#career
- Tim Tebow. (2023, May 3). Biography. https://www.biography.com/athletes/tim-tebow
- Tim Tebow | Keynote Speaker | AAE Speakers Bureau. (2023, April 25). https://www.aaespeakers.com/keynote-speakers/tim-tebow
- Filice, G. (2012, January 11). Tim Tebow timeline. NFL.com. https://www.nfl.com/photos/tim-tebow-timeline-09000d5d825e9234
- Cantabrana, C. (2014). Tim Tebow brings hope and inspiration to ABC’s Good Morning America. Movieguide | the Family Guide to Movies & Entertainment. https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/tim-tebow-brings-hope-inspiration-abcs-good-morning-america.html
- Through my Eyes: Tebow, Tim, Whitaker, Nathan: 9780062007308: Amazon.com: Books. (n.d.). https://www.amazon.com/Through-My-Eyes-Tim-Tebow/dp/0062007300
- Goodreads. (n.d.-i). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30233910-shaken
- “This Is the Day: Reclaim Your Dream. Ignite Your Passion. Live Your Purpose.” (showing 1-4 of 4 books). (n.d.). https://www.goodreads.com/search
- “Know Who You Are. Live Like It Matters.: A Homeschooler’s Interactive Guide to Discovering Your True Identity” (showing 1-1 of 1 books). (n.d.). https://www.goodreads.com/search
- Bronco and Friends: A Party to Remember. (n.d.). Good Reads. Retrieved September 5, 2023, from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54227480-bronco-and-friends
- Tim Tebow – Bio | Keynote Speaker | Premiere Speakers Bureau. (n.d.). https://premierespeakers.com/tim-tebow/bio
- Tim Tebow Foundation | Changing Lives Through Faith, Hope & Love. (n.d.). Tim Tebow Foundation. https://timtebowfoundation.org/
- Orphan Care Outreach | Charity program for orphan children. (n.d.). Tim Tebow Foundation. https://timtebowfoundation.org/orphan-care
Any reader who wishes to provide any additions or revisions to this article, including updating any out-of-date information, please email [email protected].