New Haven, CT
- Known For:
Founder and CEO of Euro Pacific Capital
University of California at Berkeley
About Peter Schiff
Peter Schiff was born on March 23, 1963, in New Haven, Connecticut. He comes from a family with a strong background in economics and finance. His father, Irwin Schiff, was a prominent figure in the tax protest movement and a self-published author on economic and political topics. Irwin Schiff’s views on taxation and government intervention had a significant influence on his son’s own economic and political beliefs.
Peter Schiff received his undergraduate education at the University of California, Berkeley, where he studied finance and accounting. He later earned a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), with a focus on finance and investment.
Schiff’s education and exposure to his father’s ideas contributed to shaping his libertarian and free-market economic views. He was also influenced by the Austrian School of Economics, which emphasizes individualism, sound money, and limited government intervention in economic affairs. This background influenced Schiff’s later career as an economist, financial commentator, and entrepreneur.
Partner and CEO of Euro Pacific Capital Inc.
After completing his education and working as a financial consultant with Shearson Lehman Brothers, Schiff went on to acquire a small brokerage firm that was founded in 1980. After a rename, Schiff became CEO of Euro Pacific Capital Inc., a financial brokerage firm that focuses on international investment strategies and now has offices nationwide.
The company specializes in providing investment services and financial advice for international investing and wealth preservation. Euro Pacific Capital advocates for investments in non-U.S. assets to protect against potential economic downturns in the United States.
Schiff gained significant attention for his economic commentaries and predictions. He accurately forecasted the 2008 housing market collapse and the subsequent financial crisis, which brought him widespread recognition. His views on the unsustainability of the U.S. government’s debt and the potential consequences of a loose monetary policy have been a central theme in his commentary.
In addition to his economic commentary, Schiff has occasionally been involved in political discussions. He was the economic adviser to Ron Paul’s 2008 presidential campaign. He has also run for political office in the past, including a bid for the U.S. Senate in Connecticut that he lost in the Republican primary to Linda McMahon.
Schiff is known for his strong advocacy of investing in precious metals, particularly gold and silver, as a means of safeguarding wealth against inflation and economic uncertainty. His investment philosophy often emphasizes the importance of holding tangible assets.
Schiff is an author of several books on economics and finance, including the following:
- Crash Proof: How to Profit From the Coming Economic Collapse (2007): This book warned about the impending financial crisis and offered advice on how investors could protect themselves from its effects.
- The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Down (2008): In this book, Schiff offers strategies and advice for investors to navigate bear markets and economic downturns. He provides insights into identifying opportunities during market declines.
- Crash Proof 2.0: How to Profit From the Economic Collapse (2009): This book is an updated version of Crash Proof, where Schiff expands on his economic predictions and investment recommendations, taking into account the developments since the original book’s release.
- How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes (2010): Co-authored with Andrew Schiff, this book uses a simple parable to explain the basics of economics, focusing on the principles of savings, investment, and economic growth. The book also delves into the causes of economic crises.
- The Real Crash: America’s Coming Bankruptcy—How to Save Yourself and Your Country (2012): In this book, Schiff expanded on his concerns about the U.S. economy, government debt, and the potential for a major economic crisis.
- The Little Book of Bull Moves, Updated and Expanded: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Up, Down, or Sideways (2016): This updated version of The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets provides additional insights and strategies for investors in various market conditions.
The Peter Schiff Show
Schiff hosts The Peter Schiff Show, a podcast where he discusses economic and financial topics. The podcast provides a platform for him to share his views, interview guests, and engage with his audience on matters related to economics, finance, and investing.
The show was originally on the radio, recording on the Radio America network from 2010 to 2014. Today, Schiff continues the show in a podcast format.
Some of the latest podcast episodes released by Schiff include:
- “The Fed Will Never Hit Its Inflation Target”
- “A Market Driven U.S. Dollar Downgrade Is the Real Threat”
- “Is the AI Inspired Tech Bubble About to Pop?”
- “Dollar Breakdown Confirms Lower Inflation Is Transitory”
Peter Schiff Today
Schiff is a prominent media personality, known for his appearances on financial news outlets such as CNBC, Fox Business, and Bloomberg. He uses these platforms to share his economic perspectives and critique government policies, often advocating for free-market solutions. He also delivers lectures at major economic and investment conferences around the world.
In 2022, Schiff successfully sued the Nine Network and The Age newspaper after a public report that scrutinized Euro Pacific Bank and its links to tax evasion and crime. Euro Pacific Bank became part of a large tax evasion probe called Operation Atlantis. In its aftermath, the Puerto Rico Office of the Commissioner of Financial Institutions ordered Euro Pacific Bank to shut down due to insufficient capital, which Shiff blamed on the false accusations made by Operation Atlantis. The probe yielded no charges of illegal activity and Schiff sued the media companies for defamation.
In a settlement with bank regulators in Puerto Rico over Euro Pacific Bank’s insolvency, Schiff agreed to return $66.7 million in deposits, selling several million dollars’ worth of the bank’s gold to cover cash shortfalls. He also paid $300,000 in fines.
In spring 2023, Schiff predicted that the U.S. was entering a financial crisis, stating, “This is no longer the 2008 financial crisis. This is the 2023 crisis. It’s been a long time — fifteen years since we had a financial crisis. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for this crisis to begin. But I’m not surprised we are having a crisis.”
Schiff resides in Puerto Rico and Connecticut with his wife Lauren and their two young children, as well as his son from a prior marriage.
Leaders Media has established sourcing guidelines that rely on credible, expert-level, and primary sources for articles about people and companies. Articles are frequently edited by staff writers. Learn more about our mission, editorial ethics, and how we source references in our editorial policy.
- Staff, S. (2023). Peter Schiff. The Peter Schiff Show. https://schiffradio.com/
- Peter Schiff – Biography — JewAge. (n.d.). https://www.jewage.org/wiki/ru/Article:Peter_Schiff_-_Biography
- Who is Peter Schiff? Everything You Need to Know. (n.d.). https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/peter-schiff-32961.php
- Schiff, P. (n.d.). Peter Schiff. Mises Institute. https://mises.org/profile/peter-schiff
- Bio – Schiff, Peter — SALT Conference. (n.d.). SALT Conference. http://live.saltconference.com/saltvegas2019/bio-schiff-peter
- Peter Schiff Biography | Booking info for speaking engagements. (n.d.). All American Speakers Bureau: Book Top Business, Keynote, Celebrity Speakers. https://www.allamericanspeakers.com/celebritytalentbios/Peter+Schiff/406293
- Peter Schiff. (n.d.). The Register Citizen. Retrieved August 18, 2023, from https://www.registercitizen.com/news/article/Peter-Schiff-12112344.php
- Birch Gold Group. (2023, May 19). Peter Schiff: Gold In A “Reverse Bubble” – Don’t Wait to Buy. https://www.birchgold.com/peter-schiff-gold-in-reverse-bubble/
- Cash Proof. (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19502205-crash-proof
- The Little Book of Bull moves in Bear Markets: How to k. . . (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3791564-the-little-book-of-bull-moves-in-bear-markets
- Goodreads. (n.d.-b). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6427967-crash-proof-2-0
- How an economy grows and why it crashes. (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7048818-how-an-economy-grows-and-why-it-crashes
- The Real Crash: America’s Coming Bankruptcy—How to sa. . . (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18886510-the-real-crash
- The Little Book of Bull Moves, Updated and Expanded: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Up, Down, or Sideways. (2010, July 20). Wiley.com. https://www.wiley.com/en-us/The+Little+Book+of+Bull+Moves
- SchiffGold. (2023, February 2). Peter Schiff | SchiffGold. SchiffGold.com. https://schiffgold.com/our-team/peter-schiff/
- Peter Schiff | APB Speakers. (n.d.). APB Speakers. https://www.apbspeakers.com/speaker/peter-schiff/
- Tozer, C. G. N. M. J. (2020, October 18). The day the international tax authorities came knocking. The Age. https://www.theage.com.au/national/the-day-the-international-tax-authorities-came-knocking-20201015-p565lz.html
- Robles, F. (2022, August 14). Peter Schiff has a deal with Puerto Rico to liquidate his Euro Pacific Bank, he says. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/09/business/euro-pacific-peter-schiff.html
- SchiffGold, & SchiffGold. (2023). Peter Schiff: The 2023 financial crisis has begun! | SchiffGold. SchiffGold.com. https://schiffgold.com/peters-podcast/peter-schiff-the-2023-financial-crisis-has-begun/
Any reader who wishes to provide any additions or revisions to this article, including updating any out-of-date information, please email [email protected].