October 30, 1973
- Known For:
Founder of Bulletproof
About Dave Asprey
Dave Asprey was born on October 30, 1973. He grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He has publicly discussed being bullied as a child and the importance of psychological and emotional work to reset the impacts of trauma.
Asprey holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he studied computer information systems. He also earned an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Asprey’s rise to fame is primarily rooted in his work as an entrepreneur and his role in popularizing the biohacking movement. Prior to his work with Bulletproof, he had a background in the tech industry.
In the tech world, Asprey worked in various roles, including in product management, sales, and marketing for companies like 3Com and Silicon Graphics. He also held executive positions at technology companies like Blue Coat Systems and Citrix Systems. His work in the tech sector spanned over two decades, during which he contributed to the growth of numerous startups and larger tech companies.
Dave Asprey is the founder of the Bulletproof company, which launched in 2013. His brand and products are centered around the concept of “biohacking,” or using science and technology to make one’s mind and body perform at their peak potential.
Here’s an overview of the Bulletproof company and its various components:
- Bulletproof Coffee: This is perhaps the most well-known product associated with Dave Asprey. The recipe combines high-quality, low-toxin coffee with grass-fed butter (or ghee) and medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil, often marketed by Bulletproof as “Brain Octane Oil.” The combination is said to provide sustained energy, suppress hunger, and support cognitive function.
- Supplements and products: Beyond coffee, Bulletproof offers a range of supplements, foods, and products designed to enhance mental clarity, support physical performance, and promote health. This includes items like protein powders, collagen bars, and other supplements.
- Podcast and Media: The Human Upgrade (formerly known as Bulletproof Radio) podcast features interviews with a variety of experts from the fields of health, wellness, and personal development. Through this platform, Asprey and his guests explore various topics related to biohacking and human optimization.
- Bulletproof Labs (Upgrade Labs): These are physical locations where individuals can use state-of-the-art technology and techniques to improve their health and performance. Offerings might include cryotherapy, light therapy, and other cutting-edge modalities.
- Educational Content: Bulletproof provides a range of articles, recipes, and guides on its website, sharing information about the latest research and innovations in the fields of nutrition, health, and biohacking. Bulletproof also offers various courses and events.
- Books: Asprey has authored several books to share his perspective on biohacking, nutrition, and peak performance. The Bulletproof Diet is one of his more popular titles, wherein he outlines a dietary approach designed to boost brain power, shed weight, and increase energy.
Critics argue that some of the claims made by Bulletproof lack rigorous scientific backing and that the emphasis on “low-toxin” products can be misleading. Nevertheless, the brand has amassed a dedicated following of individuals who report positive results from adopting the Bulletproof lifestyle.
Today, Asprey continues to release books on biohacking and publicly discuss the cutting-edge techniques and technologies that boost human health. He is married to Lana Asprey, a physician, and the couple lives in Vancouver Island, Canada.
The Bulletproof Diet (2014): This book introduces readers to Asprey’s dietary philosophy. Based on his personal experiences and research, Asprey provides recommendations for foods that help improve brain function, shed excess weight, and increase energy. He also delves into the idea of biohacking one’s diet, highlighting the benefits of his well-known Bulletproof Coffee.
Bulletproof: The Cookbook (2015): An extension of his original diet book, this cookbook provides recipes that align with the Bulletproof philosophy. It offers dishes aimed at boosting energy, improving brain health, and promoting weight loss.
Head Strong (2017): In Head Strong, Asprey delves deeper into the science of mitochondrial function and its role in brain health. He provides strategies and interventions to improve brain function, which, according to Asprey, can lead to better performance, improved focus, and increased energy levels.
Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life (2018): Asprey shares insights and lessons he’s gleaned from interviewing various experts, thought leaders, and high-performers on his podcast. The book offers actionable advice on how to improve performance in various aspects of life, from work to health.
Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever (2019): In this book, Asprey delves into the world of anti-aging, providing readers with strategies and interventions to slow down or even reverse the aging process. He touches on various topics, from supplements and dietary changes to advanced medical technologies that might pave the way to longer, healthier lives.
Fast This Way: Burn Fat, Heal Inflammation, and Eat Like the High-Performing Human You Were Meant to Be (2021): Asprey explores the concept of intermittent fasting, offering his unique take on how to approach fasting for optimal health and performance benefits. He provides readers with practical guidance on incorporating fasting into their lives while also addressing common myths and misconceptions about the practice.
Smarter Not Harder: The Biohacker’s Guide to Getting the Body and Mind You Want (2023): This book explores how biohacking impacts the body’s operating system, and how it can be used to achieve wellness. The book provides practical and accessible information on better eating, smart workouts, and strategic therapies.
Dave Asprey Quotes
“Biohacking is the art and science of changing the environment around you and inside you, so you have more control over your own biology.”
“Fasting gives you mental clarity you can’t get any other way.”
“Your brain is the most expensive real estate in your body.”
“The state of your mitochondria is the state of your health—and your longevity.”
“Being Bulletproof means you hack your environment so you have control over your biology to do the things you want to do.”
Leaders Media has established sourcing guidelines that rely on credible, expert-level, and primary sources for articles about people and companies. Articles are frequently edited by staff writers. Learn more about our mission, editorial ethics, and how we source references in our editorial policy.
- About. (2023, August 9). Dave Asprey. https://daveasprey.com/about/
- Ann. (2023, March 31). Dave Asprey Podcast, Bio, Wiki, Age, Wife, Salary, and net Worth. Facts Buddy. https://factsbuddy.com/dave-asprey/
- Eightify. (2023). Biohacking Your Body and Mind with Dave Asprey | Finding Mastery. Eightify Youtube Summaries. https://eightify.app/summary/personal-development-and-self-improvement/biohacking-your-body-and-mind-with-dave-asprey-finding-mastery
- Wikiwand – Dave Asprey. (n.d.). Wikiwand. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Dave_Asprey
- Father of Biohacking, Dave Asprey: “I spent $300,000 and 15 years upgrading every system in my body using every conceivable technology and tool I could find.” (n.d.). https://natfluence.com/interview/dave-asprey/
- Schawbel, D. (2017, November 4). Dave Asprey: How To Become Bulletproof In Your Career And Life. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2017/11/04/dave-asprey-how-to-become-bulletproof-in-your-career-and-life/?sh=fb3feee251c4
- Monroe, R. (2019, January 23). The Bulletproof coffee founder has spent $1 million in his quest to live to 180. Men’s Health. https://www.menshealth.com/health/a25902826/bulletproof-dave-asprey-biohacking/
- Magner, E., & Magner, E. (2022). The Beginner’s Guide to biohacking. Well+Good. https://www.wellandgood.com/what-is-biohacking-dave-asprey/
- Cole, W. (2021, January 28). Dave Asprey: Fasting, Fatty Water, Fiber, Biohacks + The Birth Of Bulletproof – Dr. Will Cole. Dr. Will Cole. https://drwillcole.com/podcast/dave-asprey-fasting-fatty-water-fiber-biohacks-the-birth-of-bulletproof
- Podcast archives. (n.d.). Dave Asprey. https://daveasprey.com/category/podcasts/
- Dave Asprey blog. (2023, August 9). Dave Asprey. https://daveasprey.com/blog/
- Books. (2023, August 9). Dave Asprey. https://daveasprey.com/books/
- Zigoris, J. (2023). ‘Father of Biohacking’ and Founder of Bulletproof Coffee Wants You To Embrace Laziness. The San Francisco Standard. https://sfstandard.com/2023/01/29/this-former-tech-exec-the-self-proclaimed-father-of-biohacking-has-some-advice-for-you/
- How Dave Asprey is Biohacking His Way to a Better Brain. (2023, July 27). https://www.tomorrow.bio/post/how-dave-asprey-is-biohacking-his-way-to-a-better-brain-2023-06-4732506342-biohacking
- The bulletproof diet: lose up to a pound a day, reclaim. . . (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22299976-the-bulletproof-diet
- Bulletproof: The Cookbook: Lose Up to a Pound a Day, In. . .. (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23723799-bulletproof
- Head strong: the bulletproof plan to activate untapped . . . (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30653985-head-strong
- Goodreads. (n.d.-g). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/fr/book/show/40209370
- Super Human: The bulletproof plan to age backward and m. . . (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43801612-super-human
- Goodreads. (n.d.-h). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54026608-fast-this-way
- Smarter Not Harder: The Biohacker’s Guide to Getting th. . .. (n.d.). Goodreads. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61281760-smarter-not-harder
Any reader who wishes to provide any additions or revisions to this article, including updating any out-of-date information, please email [email protected].